Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Just finished


Just finished reading David Mitchell's Number9Dream which is all one word like blood, water, and gasoline in a clearwater poem. Man, f'ing A, really good book, with only one or two parts that I was questioning as a reader. Not too into the ending, but overall really good.

It's basically about this 20 year old named Eiji in Tokyo who is searching for his father who he has never met. It blends dreams with the reality of the plot so seamlessly, at times I found myself trying to figure out if parts were just fantasy of the main character or the true story that he was living. It's fun reading such a play on reality, and every chapter has at least two "realities."

I've made my way through 3 of Mitchell's four books this year, and am really enjoying them. I'll probably read the first (last on my list), Ghostwritten at some point in the next few months. While I'm working my way in a backwards chronology of his works, I'm seeing the ideas he carried from book to book, and really digging it. Anyways, really good stuff, I highly recommend it.
I'm starting a book club at my high school for faculty; sending our the preliminary email tomorrow. I think we'll read The Book Theif, which came out sometime recently. Don't know the author, but it sounds pretty good.

No comments: