Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Started today with students, spent most of last week prepping. So far off to a pretty decent start, but I'm realizing that I really don't like this part of the school year. I can't wait for the part of the year when I know who everyone is, and know what to expect from them. Right now, it seems like every little thing might be a test, and it's difficult to know what to squash and what to let go. So far so good. Read the cat in the hat twice (the cat is symbolic of the Id, and the fish is the superego...) three more times to go. Oh, and this year I get third period prep, which means, early dismissal two days each week. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

mlc said...

Hmmm, maybe you should actually, i mean literally make every little thing a test? That's what I'd do, but that's also probably why I'm not a teacher. Plus, if everything were a test, how could you teach them anything? Sheesh. I have terrible ideas.

Nice to see you giving the Cat in the Hat the psycho-analytic read. Do you get to deconstruct it next? Dang.

kevin said...

Re-reading that post I made, I realize I made a huge mistake... the fish is the ego. I don't know what the hell the superego is in the book.

And, you're absolutely right about making everything a test... in a way, it is. The more I'm going "you guys did so good on walking in quietly and beginning your work," the better my class goes... in essence, giving them a grade for even the little shitty things.

Was super sick last week. Had a sore throat, and every class did pretty good except for one. Got to whip them into shape a bit.